• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Everything causes cancer

alterego.shadow

Bluelighter
It seems like almost everyday I read a news story about our water, food, machines, and air all causing cancer. I've already had cancer once in my life. I had to go through chemo about about 8 years ago. Now, researchers are saying that this chemo has the potential to cause cancer in later life. Not to mention all the CAT scans I had to have done that are also now linked to cancer. I do everything I can by eating healthy, exercising, and not smoking. It seems like I'm fighting a losing battle.

How is anyone supposed to keep up with all this info and stay cancer free?

you sound pretty stressed

stress will fuck up your immune system...and thats not good for cancer...

imo you should mostly calm down and realize its ok
your gonna die anyway
concentrate on enjoying stuff that are there right now, not what might come

sorry if im being a ass

haha, I know my post made me sound like a stressed out crazy. But, I actually feel pretty relaxed and I don't put too much thought into cancer. The only thing that constantly reminds me of it is the news.

Captain, that whole site is very interesting. More people need to know about it

Don't read the news. I quit in May, I feel better every day.

I read a very good book about diet, vitamins and cancer. The whole thing was basically about anti-oxidants. In essence you want to ingest as much as possible in as many forms as possible. Vitamins A, C, and E can be taken in quite large doses and are all anti-oxidants. The list of other anti-oxidants is very long. Cinnamon, spirulina, teas of all types, all fruits, all veggies, and a bunch herbs etc. are great sources. The number one source is actually dietary fiber. The bacteria in your digestive track break it down into salyic (the is a totally wrong spelling) acid which is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants on earth. It is important to ingest anti-oxidants every 6 hours because that is how long most of them are active in your body.

Things that are oxidative include processed food, meat, sugar, and alcohol. Chemotherapy and radiation are two of the most oxidative substances/energies know and are huge causes of cancer years after a person is exposed to them.

What is comes down to is a diet mainly based on raw plants.

Good luck!

^If one is eating tons of raw veggies, fruits and herbs, there is absolutely no need for supplementation of vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/whatever (or ANYTHING except complete proteins and vitamin d for that matter), especially "large doses" of a fat soluble nutrient like vitamin a. In fact, supplementation of large doses of exogenous antioxidants is likely to disrupt the body's normal function, as it relies so heavily on redox. (Supplement every 6 hours? 8o Holy fuck that's crazy talk).

This isn't as simple as "free radicals bad, antioxidants good", and if you're taking a supplement just because it's an antioxidant, throw it out.

spirulina
May be best to avoid, since basically anything you can get from spirulina/chlorella you can get from broccoli anyway. At the very least it's certainly not anything I would supplement everyday.

Not bashing you Mehm, its not like you wrote that book or anything :) I'm currently working my way through some literature on the subject of cancer therapy myself.

Last edited:
I read a very good book about diet, vitamins and cancer.
What's it called?

^If one is eating tons of raw veggies, fruits and herbs, there is absolutely no need for supplementation of vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/whatever (or ANYTHING except complete proteins and vitamin d for that matter), especially "large doses" of a fat soluble nutrient like vitamin a.
As long as you're eating a balanced diet that includes some whole grains, you shouldn't need to supplement "complete proteins" as things like beans, seeds, and nuts are (typically) "half complete" and (most) whole grains are the "complementary half."

And Vitamin D you may be able to get from the sun. I forget the degree line, but if you live above that degree line in the Northern Hemisphere, then apparently no matter how much you sit out in the sun, you're not going to get enough sunlight to synthesize Vitamin D.

Don't read the news. I quit in May, I feel better every day.

Exactly. In my 32 years of life I've come to realize that everything causes cancer. Of course, I say that with complete sarcasm. Watching the news is becoming as bad as sitting on WebMD and reading the symptoms of random diseases. By the time you are done you've diagnosed yourself with three different terminal illnesses.

Point is, we're all going to die. No getting around that. Enjoy life and don't worry so much. :D

Perhaps it's not about "keeping up" with the news, it's about getting to know the nature of how things work. People will get cancer and it may not be pretty. That's about all there is to it. Do the best you can and make sure you have a good life while you have it! :)

The book is called Fight Cancer with Vitamins and Supplements: A Guide to Prevention and Treatment by Kedar N. Prasad Ph. D. and Che Prasad M.D.

If one is eating tons of raw veggies, fruits and herbs, there is absolutely no need for supplementation of vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/whatever (or ANYTHING except complete proteins and vitamin d for that matter), especially "large doses" of a fat soluble nutrient like vitamin a. In fact, supplementation of large doses of exogenous antioxidants is likely to disrupt the body's normal function, as it relies so heavily on redox. (Supplement every 6 hours? Holy fuck that's crazy talk).

This isn't as simple as "free radicals bad, antioxidants good", and if you're taking a supplement just because it's an antioxidant, throw it out.

The doctors who wrote this book spend a bit of time dispelling this idea. I'm basically taking their word for it. What is your experience and knowledge level on the subject if you don't mind my asking?

About spirulina, IMO and from what I've read it is a potent super food. That one study on Chinese samples isn't enough to dissuade me tbh.

I've been doing the high doses of anti-oxidants and vits A B C D E and selenium for about a month now. Have never felt more healthy or energetic.

What's it called?

As long as you're eating a balanced diet that includes some whole grains, you shouldn't need to supplement "complete proteins" as things like beans, seeds, and nuts are (typically) "half complete" and (most) whole grains are the "complementary half."

And Vitamin D you may be able to get from the sun. I forget the degree line, but if you live above that degree line in the Northern Hemisphere, then apparently no matter how much you sit out in the sun, you're not going to get enough sunlight to synthesize Vitamin D.

Sorry, I took it to mean a diet of basically only fruits, veggies, herbs. In which case yes you would need to take a protein supplement. As for vitamin d, it's pretty much the only thing that everyone should supplement with nowadays. You would be hard pressed to find someone who is getting the optimal dose of vitamin d everyday.
What is your experience and knowledge level on the subject if you don't mind my asking?
5 years or so spent reading various human nutrition/longevity forums and a few hundred pounds of books I've got lying around. Nothing formal though.
I can tell you though that megadosing on antioxidants is only a good idea on paper. This has been known for some time.

How much are you taking of each vitamin? And how often? What form of the nutrient do you take? Also what "antioxidants" do you take or it is just vitamins?

Vitamin c I understand. There's too much talk about asorbic acid for people not to get sucked in by it. Still, I get plenty from the multi I take.
Vitamin d is good continue to supplement 5,000 IU d3/day. Bump it up to 8,000 IU in winter if necessary.
Vitamin e shows very mixed results in the lab, with most models showing apparently little to know protection. At the very least I hope you're taking mixed pherols and trienols.
Vitamin a, well let's just say if you're mega dosing on retinol you're asking for trouble. It must be carotene.
Vitamin b? Which one? And why?

Everything listed above can be gotten in suffiecient supply via diet. What you're proposing here is just overkill I believe and is certainly not supported by modern nutritional science.

Spirulina, well that was just the first thing I could find but I've been hearing some whispers lately you may want to look into some of the really recent stuff on it...

Last edited:
In addition to a good amount of seeds, nuts, whole grains, local fruits and veggies, plus home grown greens like chard and kale I've been doing

one supplement that I'm taking twice a day has:
vit A as natural beta carotene 15,000 IU 300%(I read that toxicity starts to occur at 50,000 IU)
vit C as Ascorbic Acid 425 mg 708%
vit E as "natural sourced vitamin E" 200 IU 667%
Selenium as selenium yeast 70 mcg 100%
This vit also has 23 other extracts of blueberries, rose hips, etc. plus ALA and CoQ10

Also:
Vit D 400 IU 100% 2x per day
B complex once a day
Ginko Biloba extact 60 mg once per day
Calcium/Magnesium twice per day equalling 100%

I'm doing the vit Bs for energy and I apparently like to have expensive urine. Also I've heard in several circles that niacin is good for quitting drinking, which I'm doing.

On top of that I eat a big spoonful cinnamon once or twice a day, drink blueberry, pom, acai, and kombucha, and drink green tea on occasion.

I really feel amazing right now tbh. Stopping drinking and smoking weed could be the cause of this as well. However, I've tried to cut down on these activities countless times and have never been as successful as I am right now with the vits added in.

Hmm, that's not exactly the 'megadosing' I thought you were doing. Those levels don't even approach a true megadose regimen.(Which is quite a bad idea) :| Now I feel silly. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk.
That all looks quite fine, however I would up the vitamin D by at least 500%. And consider taking it with 45-50ug of vitamin K2.(They work quite wonderfully together) 800 IU/day will never bring those blood levels up sufficiently. You're looking for somewhere around ~45ng/ml. After you reach this level you can ease off be 1,000 IU/day during the summer. :)

Where is the omega-3 at? This should be at the center of all supplement stacks. Make use of some of that vitamin e(You're taking about twice as much as I am atm)

Calcium and Magnesium antagonize each other you should definitely be taking them seperately. I don't even know why a company would combine these 2 into 1 supplement...

Also look into selenomethionine or Se-methylselenocysteine for your selenium source if you can afford it.

Other than that just keep your pomegranate away from your green tea and your stack is looking good :D Congrats on quitting drinking btw

Last edited:
ohh yeah, 2g fish oil twice a day.

Thanks for all of the advice. Besides the D, should I be taking even more of anything listed?

Also is my calcium magnesium completely worthless? I have a huge bottle of the stuff.